Abd sez:

> The idea that excess heat is easier to detect reliably than
> radiation is downright weird.

It might seem weird to you.

But it's a probably whole lot safer looking for anomalous heat as
compared to anomalous neutrons and other sub-atomic particles.

I have a story to recount.

Many years ago Dr. Zimmerman once lectured to me privately via email
that the amount of heat allegedly generated from certain CF
experiments should have been sufficiently lethal to have killed anyone
stupid enough to be watching the proceedings close by. Since no
obvious amounts of radiation had apparently been detected, Dr.
Zimmerman concluded that all of these CF experiments must be bogus -
bad science. Of course, we've all heard such reasoning expressed by
those like Dr. Zimmerman many times before. I thought momentarily
about suggesting to Dr. Zimmerman that his conclusions might be
incomplete. However, it was clear that Dr. Zimmerman had cast himself
in the role of being my teacher on these matters. Since it was clear
that he believed I needed help in understanding these complicated
physics matters, it deemed it would have been hopeless, and perhaps
even a little bit rude of me, to have suggested otherwise. I really
didn't want to break the illusion of the Teacher/Student relationship
for which Dr. Zimmerman was proceeding under in that particular line
of correspondence. Despite such incongruities, I did enjoy my chat
with him.

> One particle can be detected, and, under the
> right conditions, even characterized, and with its energy being
> estimated, but the amount of heat involved would not be measurable
> with calorimetry.

IOW, one presume there is no way in hell that your proposed kit would
ever be capable of generated anywhere near the amount of hard
radiation to cause harmful effects to anyone who might be standing
nearby for significant periods of time. And obviously, very little
heat as well.

Personally, I think your kit would sell better if it could actually
heat a pot of tea.

"COLD FUSION EXPERIMENT KIT SOLD AT WALL MART HEATS POT OF TEA"
"PHYSICISTS HYSTERICAL"

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com