Hi,
[snip]

I think the main problem here is that there is only a significant cross section
for alpha emission when the neutron is fast. In fact, alpha emission upon
absorption of a slow particle is a form of fission, and only seems to happen
with either very heavy or very light nuclei. Pd is pretty much in the middle of
the table.
I thought a possible example might be

Be7 + n => 2 He4

however this reaction has a cross section of about 1 barn for slow neutrons,
whereas the ejection of a proton instead i.e.

Be7 + n => Li7 + p

has a cross section (for thermal neutrons) of about 100000 barns (huge!). The
cross section increases for exothermic reactions as the neutron temperature
drops.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html