On Feb 21, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

On 02/21/2011 09:48 PM, Horace Heffner wrote:

On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Joshua Cude wrote:

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net> wrote:

On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:50 AM, Joshua Cude wrote:

|One should also bear in mind that it takes only 2% steam by mass to make up 97.5% of the expelled fluid by volume. And |since the steam is created in the horizontal portion, it is forced up 50 cm of pipe through liquid, which would |presumably turn the liquid into a fine mist after a few minutes.

The above appears to to be a typo. It was probably meant to say: "One should also bear in mind that it takes only 2% steam by *volume* to make up 97.5% of the expelled fluid by *mass*.

| Well maybe a question of semantics, and some rounding errors.

| Try this: It takes only 2% of the H2O by mass, in the form of steam, to make up 97% of the expelled water by volume.

Better. It is a matter of definitions. However, I think "2% steam by mass" in your original statement means "2% wet steam" that is to say 2% of the mass is water, 98% is steam, by mass. It wouldn't make any sense vice versa, i.e. 2% by mass vapor, and 98% mass in liquid.

But that last formulation makes perfect sense, I think,

.. and I said I thought it was better.

and is surely what Joshua wrote.

In Joshua's scenario, each gram of effluent consists of 980 milligrams of liquid water, in the form of tiny droplets taking up just under a milliliter of total volume, and just 20 milligrams of vapor, in the form of gas. None the less, the 20 milligrams of vapor, being enormously less dense, constitute nearly all the volume of the effluent -- thus, it's 97.5% vapor, by volume, because the vapor is taking up about 39 milliliters of space, to the single ml being consumed by the liquid.

By volume, this stuff Joshua is describing would be 2.5% liquid water, or, one might say, 97.5% dry steam.

Only 2.5% of the mass of the water has been vaporized in this scenario, so the heat of vaporization required will be about 40 times smaller than that required to fully vaporize the water.

What doesn't make sense? Is it that the expansion factor for liquid->vapor Joshua used is too large?

No, it is a matter of definitions, as I said.

Such a "2% wet by mass steam" takes 98% of the vaporization energy to create vs dry steam. What I provided were the numbers for 2% wet by volume steam, that is to say 2% of the volume of the ejected fluid being liquid.

I think you and Joshua were talking about the same thing, really.

Yes, I merely pointed out what appeared to be a typo - of the kind I make often, exchanging terms.

Or maybe I'm just tired.  I should go to bed.

I think Joshua and I both have a grasp on the basic principles involved, and both of us know it. I provided both forwards and backwards calculations of the values in question (but which were unfortunately cut above), so that should be good enough to demonstrate that I understand the principles I think. Below are the values discussed regarding this experiment in tabular form.

Liquid     Liquid    Gas
Portion    Portion   Portion
by Volume  by Mass   by Mass
0.010      0.9439     0.0560
0.020      0.97144    0.02856
0.02856    0.98       0.02

The problem, to me, centered on the meaning of "2% steam". When this phrase is used it typically (AFAIK) means 2% wet steam, i.e 2% of the steam is water. That can be by 2% water of total mass or 2% water of total volume, but I think is usually expressed in terms of water by mass. Therefore, when I saw "2% steam by mass", it appeared Joshua was talking about 2% water by mass, and 98% vapor by mass. I doubt that anyone normally talks abut 98% steam, especially when talking about "dry steam", because that quickly will be pure water, i.e. it is 98% water by mass, and probably unmistakable to the eye as dry steam. In the case of Rossi's experiment there was some doubt and discussion about how accurate the measurement could be, because the value was determined by steam capacitance, and thus might be by volume. All talk of relative humidity (RH), which the instrument actually measured in a limited range which did not include 99-100%, seemed nonsensical when applied to "dry steam". A 1% error by volume could mean a 94.4% error in heat, and the instrument was rated as only 2.7% accurate in its valid range.

In any case Joshua's statement did not make sense to me as written, but made total sense as corrected, given a very small error in the third place. Note in the table that 2% steam by volume is coincidentally 97.144 % steam by mass (but not 98% or 97.5%). That is to say, if 2% of the *volume* of the H2O is liquid, then 97.144% of the H2O is liquid by mass. This matches up very well with what Joshua was saying provided *volume* and *mass* are exchanged in his sentence: "One should also bear in mind that it takes only 2% steam by *mass* to make up 97.5% of the expelled fluid by *volume*." This is why I thought it was a typo and posted.

Then Joshua posted his calculation, which I followed totally, line by line, and noted the units mistakes which self corrected by cancellation. He nicely changed his defining statement and it all totally made sense to me what his meanings were, which I demonstrated by my calculations. He was clearly talking about a mixture that was 2% vapor by mass, i.e. 98% wet steam. I showed that this was 2.856% wet steam (2.856% liquid) by volume, and thus 97.144% gas by volume. I further showed my formula was correct and other calculations correct by back calculating the 98% wet steam number, as shown in the last line of the table above.

As far as I know everyone is in synch with regard to definitions and calculations. When 2% of the total mass ejected is vapor, then 97.144% of the total volume ejected is vapor. Also, when 2% of the total volume ejected is water, 97.144% of the total mass ejected is water, and 2.856% of the total mass ejected is vapor. Steam which is 2% wet by volume requires only 2.856% of the heat of vaporization to form compared to dry steam. Steam which is 2% wet by mass requires 98% of the heat of vaporization to form compared to dry steam of the same volume. Steam which is 2.856% wet by volume requires only 2% of the energy required to vaporize compared to dry steam of the same volume. Steam in which the vapor comprises 2% of the total mass requires only 2% of the energy to form compared to dry steam of the same mass. I'm essentially now rephrasing what I wrote earlier: