On Feb 21, 2011, at 6:27 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net> wrote:

As a double check on concepts, if you plug x=0.02856 into x/((x+(1- x)*0.0006)) then you get 0.98. That is to say, 98% of the mass of the volume expelled is water, and 2% steam - your starting assumptions.

As a double check on this discussion, you should note that they have now run the cell with hot water only, no phase change, and they found it recovered even more heat than with the phase change. So this speculation about wet steam and greatly reduced enthapy is incorrect.

Evidently Dr. Galantini was correct, and the steam was dry. Either that or these estimates of the enthalpy of wet steam are incorrect. I do not know which true, and it does not matter. A different method has now been used to confirm the original conclusion.

- Jed

I look forward to the report. This is obviously well beyond chemical if the consumables actually are H and Ni. The energy E per H is:

E = (270kwh) /(0.4 g * Na / (1 gm/mol)) = 2.52x10^4 eV / H = 25 kEv per atom of H.