Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

 The mundane reason for the appearance of iron an copper is
> electromigration.

Where are the electric fields that would cause electromigration? There are
no fields in copper pipes as far as I know.

Kullander does say ". . . it’s remarkable that nickel-58 and hydrogen can
form copper-63 (70%) and copper-65 (30%)."

I guess that means they measured the isotopes. They used XRFS and ICP-MS.
XRFS measures only elements as I recall, whereas ICP-MS detects isotopes.

It would be a little odd if the reaction produced copper with a natural
isotopic distribution.