<snip>Look carefully at what Rossi says.  In one response to a question, he

uses the word 'catalysts'.  Plural!  Nickel, rust and copper?<snip>

Let us get into the details on this point  as follows:

Under the assumption that the nuclear active area in the Rossi process is
within large numbers of nanoscopic crystal defects in condensed matter,
where exactly would that defect be found?

Bothe nickel and NiO oxide have near perfect crystal structures that contain
very few atomic defects. So the location of the nuclear active site is not
in these compounds.

The patent says that Copper can replace nickel in the Rossi reaction.

Copper and CuO also have near perfect crystal structures that contain very
few atomic defects. So the location of the nuclear active site is not in
these compounds.

Then the place where all the nuclear reactions take place is in the Rust
(Fe2O3) where a large number of crystal defects exist.

compound like NiO of CuO is also required.

>From the article “Deuterium and Palladium Not Required”

By Steven B. Krivit

“Why nickel? According to Piantelli, it has something to do with the
electronic structure. He said it's different for nickel. Palladium works,
but it's not as good.”

IMHO, the Mott insulators: NiO and CuO produce intense electrostatic fields
when these nanoparticles come in surface contact with the Fe2O3
nanoparticles. It is this electrostatic field that catalyzes the nuclear
process in the crystal defects within the Fe2O2 crystal structure of the
nanoparticle.