-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Rothwell

Jones Beene wrote:

> JR: There have been plenty of reactions at 10 to 100 W, ~40 times less.
> Surely, if they can detect gamma from 4 kW they could also detect them
> from 0.1 kW.
>
> 100 watts continuous and no signal? Where and when?

F&P, Nice, France. They had every kind detector money can buy.

Also, as I mentioned there have been several positive observations of
gamma rays at much lower power levels, such as Iwamura, so I do not see
how the power level can be the limiting factor. They have been detected
with confidence at a fraction of a watt, so they were definitely there
at times, and missing at other times. I don't see how the results would
be any different with a much larger Pd-D cell that produces 4 kW.

If gamma rays were not sporadic, Iwamura and many others would have seen
them constantly. Since they were sporadic even when the power level was
steady, they are not proportional to the power. They do not appear in a
fixed ratio; they resemble the tritium and neutrons detected in these
experiments, rather than the helium. It is clear that they can sometimes
appear, under some unusual set of circumstances, but they usually do not
appear. Therefore the reaction is usually -- but not always -- both
aneutronic and sans-gamma-rays.

Storms thinks the neutrons are probably caused by a secondary reaction,
possibly something prosaic. The gamma rays could be as well, I suppose.
However, that has no bearing on the fact that their presence proves the
experiments are sensitive enough to detect them.