What Mills has done is load H- ions into a nickel lattice as a startup
activity. A shock starts the heat production chain reaction when the nickel
lattice is perturbed and kinetic energy is added. This shock compresses the
H- into nuclear reformation.

What Rossi has done is load H- ions into the nickel lattice continually in
an on-the-fly manner and controls the strength of the hydride compression
stage to continuously produce heat under the precise regulation of his
control box.