about the ideas of this thread:

An analogy: "Why lowly apples have obtained such wonderful results in
genetic engineering, while oranges despite of billions of $ of funding had
not achieved a single usable result?"

The answer a bit tautologic is - because apples are apples and oranges are
oranges. Some things in common but huge differences.

I think it is outrigth logical fallacy to compare Mills' hyperchemistry to
Rossi's nuclear jiu-jitsu. Mills has told me that his process has nothing to
do with Rossi's and he is not interested in what Ross has done. If somebody
knows more about Mills's theory and results than Mills himself- the best is
to discuss wit the authors (that's the function of literary critics too to
explain to everybody, including the author what has he wanted to say in his
opus)

On  the other hand nor Piantelli (who knows what happens)
nor Rossi - who made it to happen at an industrial level)
are not interested in Randy's ideas not relevant for them.

There are two other more general problems here:

a) the relationship between theory and practice; e.g. Pd-D LENR  has
wonderfully bright theories- bold mental constructs- but does not achieve
practical intensity, reproducibility, continuity...

b) the way from a scientific principle to a practical technological
application is sometimes very difficult, full of obstacles and long. The
mission of the Engineer (I am a chemical one) is to work out those practical
steps that make
science to work- science is Know What, technology is Know
How, Know Who.
Know Why is usually science based but the more important
Know- Why- Not has lots of empirical elements too -see please the case of Pd
based cold fusion- my poisoning
effect was rejected with hostility, contempt and certainty that it cannot be
relevant- and it seems that deep degassing
is a sine qua non condition for Ni-H (see the patent WO 2010/58288)
I have used my practical experience in development of industrial processes
to establish a set of problem solving rules:
http://egooutpeters.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-rules-of-problem-solving.html

<http://egooutpeters.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-rules-of-problem-solving.html>For
this case Rules 2, 4, 5, and 6 are especially relevant- please see that
Mills' real problems are not connected directly to his theory. He has to
develop a continuous process with rather irreversible reactions. Lot's of
disturbing secondary phenomena.

Rossi has a high intensity process- he has to work a lot at
controllabilty (ideal is zero input!), safety (I smell risks nd danger more
than he says!) , scale-up (modular scaleup is NOT good engineering, we need
lions and tigers not kittens!), has to produce electric energy- but the
learning process has started...let's hope the best.

I consider that the two technologies have specific problems
cannot be compared directly and..scientific soundness i only a necessary (?)
not a sufficient condition for  a technology.

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Gluck
Cluj, Romania