At 10:29 AM 11/23/2011, Robert Leguillon wrote:
Where on Earth did you guys get the information that it was running and hydrogen was purged?

http://pesn.com/2011/10/31/9501942_After_the_E-Cat_Test--Report_and_Q-A_with_Rossi/

Description of the test installation the one megawatt Energy Catalyzer is an assembly of 107 modules of ten kilowatts each connected in parallel. You have noted that we did not produce one megawatt hour per hour we produced less than that.

*** This is because we had to lower the power of the power of the plant because in self sustaining we had the temperature at a certain time that rose too much. The system was difficult to modulate.

And this also is the reason why we had to stay very, very strict. So we have produced if you make the calculation we have produced.. two thousand and six hundred thirty five kilowatt hours divided by.... We made about 479 kilowatt hours per hour, which is not one megawatt of power. But we had to choose if we wanted to go all self sustained, or to go with a drive of the resistances. The customer wanted to go all self sustained, because it is very important for him.

http://pesn.com/2011/11/02/9501943_Rossis_E-Cat_Victory_on_Cold_Fusion_Emergence_Day--E-Day/

To resolve the issue, the hydrogen pressure in all the reactors was reduced. As has already been revealed by Rossi, increasing or decreasing the hydrogen pressure is a way of throttling the output in these systems. By reducing the hydrogen pressure, the temperatures would not rise quite as high, and the system as a whole would be more stable. The consequence of reducing the hydrogen pressure would be that the plant would not be able to achieve a constant one megawatt of output in a self-sustained mode.

To achieve one megawatt of output in a stable manner, it would have required a constant "drive" or input of electrical energy into the resistors. Somehow, the heat from the resistors not only triggers the nuclear reactions during start up, but can also allow for the system to be more easily controlled. Rossi admitted during the question and answer period after the system would be easier to control with a "drive", and could have reached one megawatt. However, the ability of the plant to operate in self sustain mode was very important for the customer, so it was decided to simply reduce they hydrogen pressure, and allow the system to produce less total output in a self sustained mode of operation.