Sure not take it to the bank replications but hey they saw transmutations both up and down the atomic scale! You don't do that with any chemistry that I know of.

This stuff is like the old days of Cat's Whisker Crystal radio sets. Frustrating to find the right spot and the right pressure to cause a diode effect but when you did the signal was clear. Imagine if the scientists who looked into the effect never bothered because it only worked some of the time and when it did work would stop for no apparent reason? I'm sure the valve makers of the time had absolutely no interest in a solid state signal rectification device (diode) that did not need a heater, cathode and anode and a vacuum tube to work. Had we stopped there, we would never have developed transistors, ICs and computers.

The FPE is the same thing. That it works once is more than enough to spend time and money to understand why it works. It seems we have grown lazy and expect life to give us everything we want straight out of the box with no R&D and sweat in between. I find it totally amazing that intelligent people refuse to accept the FPE is real because it doesn't work every time. Obviously they never played with a crystal radio set when they were kids. I did and loved it. Still like messing with stuff in the noise cause that is where all the interesting effects live, just waiting for someone to improve on the S/N ratio.