Jed,
I do want LENR to be true. I have said that. In fact, because I consider
such possibility so important that I want it to be true and verifiable and
not something we desire to be true. This why my high standards.

I didn't say that being reproducible by amateurs would be the only way I
would take LENR seriously.
Multiple tests done by respectable scientists, with high sigmas, and blind
methods would be acceptable. But in the end the acceptance of this
phenomenon as a practical approach to energy production would have to be
reproducible not just by amateurs but by EVERYBODY.

It would have to be reproducible as easy as we can lit a room, with the
turn of a switch. It would have to be easy to see and witness that it would
be taken for granted eventually as we do with electricity and light bulbs.

This is a self evident statement and nothing controversial or unreasonable.

If LENR can be achieved by some scientists, once in a while, here and there
around the world, with results that can be explained by some observational
uncertainty and so on, the field would remain if not pseudo-science at
least extremely controversial and a curiosity and for sure it would have no
role in helping humanity in solving fundamental practical problems.

Giovanni