The news is buzzing with the CERN announcement of the discovery of a new boson.
 They are careful not to state that the Higgs has been found at this time.

How would they actually know that this is the Higgs when there are no known
particles that are associated with the force of gravity that I am aware of?
Obviously it is not possible to see any gravitation effects from such a massive
particle in the short time of its existence.  And, it seems to me that the
actual mass has been unknown for a long time and seems to be changing every
time I read about what is expected.

Are they jumping the gun in this case to get publicity?  In my estimate it is
more likely that they have found some other type of particle that might even be
more interesting than the Higgs.  Does anyone share my question about this
discovery?

Dave