>Eric Walker wrote:<
>Yes, unfortunately. It took me a little while to move away from neutron
>production, so there's still hope that I'll give up on gamma quenching as well
>at some point.

I think that we should give consideration to every possible concept that arises
until Rossi or some of the others supply data revealing actual nuclear ash that
has been measured.  We could eliminate many ideas in fast order with this one
act of mercy on their part.

Gamma quenching has plenty of appeal as a way to tame high energy radiation and
it might play an important part in the overall process.

>The evidence for gammas is quite strong. I recall seeing in one chart for an
>experiment hundreds of events for each of a number of energies in the gamma
>range. The main problem is that they are at levels much lower than that that
>would be expected for 1 watt of power, as mentioned above. But they are
>significant. Right now I'm wondering whether they arise from secondary
>reactions or from primary ones. If they only arise from secondary reactions, I
>don't suppose you would need a mechanism like gamma quenching. But I should
>also add that it would be surprising if charged electrons and protons moving
>through a powerful magnetic field (assuming one sometimes arises) did not give
>off synchrotron radiation, even if all the radiation for the system is to
>radiate and decrease the energy of the particles.<

I have gone around and around with the gamma shielding discussions in the past
and still have many questions.  Why would Rossi actually place so much material
within his device unless he had a problem with gammas in the past?  He stated
previously that the lead shield converted the gammas into heat, but I am not
sure that he still stands by that idea.  I can see how 511 keV gammas due to
the beta plus decay of some of the copper isotopes would need shielding, but
the number of these gammas would depend upon his nickel isotope mix.  Of course
this line of thought is only true if he is fusing nickel with hydrogen instead
of processes such as Ed Storms and others are suggesting.

You mention synchrotron radiation as one source of high energy radiation.  I
think we can add acceleration of charged particles with or without a magnetic
field as another source.

>I wouldn't be surprised if something like this played out. Robin has warned
>about the strength of the strong force -- I can only imagine your demon will
>have its hands full gently easing the proton or neutron into the nucleus.<

I am sure that the little demon would be a busy guy slowing down the proton as
the strong force does its thing, but that is his job.  A little help from
proton entanglement and he might succeed.

Dave