You wrote:

Eric, I see that you are looking into gamma quenching as a method to
> control the dangerous gammas which are expected to be released by the
> reactions.

Yes, unfortunately.  It took me a little while to move away from neutron
production, so there's still hope that I'll give up on gamma quenching as
well at some point.

> Do you think that the process is virtually perfect such that there are
> essentially no gammas escaping to the outside world?  I might accept that
> 99.9% of them are taken out by this process but that would still leave many
> to be detected outside of the devices.

Ed Storms has estimated that to generate 1 watt of power, a typical output,
by way of helium production, you would need on the order of 10^12 reactions
per second.  (I think this is probably for a 1 cm^3 volume, but I am not
sure.)  So I would probably need a 99.999999 percent success rate in order
for this approach to succeed.

The evidence for gammas is quite strong.  I recall seeing in one chart for
an experiment hundreds of events for each of a number of energies in the
gamma range.  The main problem is that they are at levels much lower than
that that would be expected for 1 watt of power, as mentioned above.  But
they are significant.  Right now I'm wondering whether they arise from
secondary reactions or from primary ones.  If they only arise from
secondary reactions, I don't suppose you would need a mechanism like gamma
quenching.  But I should also add that it would be surprising if charged
electrons and protons moving through a powerful magnetic field (assuming
one sometimes arises) did not give off synchrotron radiation, even if all
the radiation for the system is to radiate and decrease the energy of the
particles.

There is still plenty of room for magic.  Whether there is gamma quenching
or not, somehow you have to get from hydrogen or deuterium plus something
else to tritium, which has been observed in small but significant amounts.
 In my ignorance I am not able to get from p+p or p+D to tritium or
helium-3, a decay product of tritium, without electron capture or something
even more mysterious.  It is perhaps this kind of problem leads Ed Storms
to propose a type of slow compacting of protons screened by electrons that
are sandwiched between them.  I'm finding it easier to come at the LENR
problem from the macroscopic thermodynamics of the system than to look at
specific reactions.  I would not be surprised if we eventually stumbled
upon irreducible magic of some kind with regard to reactions.

For this reason I have been seeking a process that keeps the gammas from
> forming in the reaction at any time.  A quantum coupling of some form
> between the proton entering the nucleus and many other free ones nearby
> might fill the need.  The action of my demon discussed earlier suggests
> that something of this nature might be active and possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like this played out.  Robin has
warned about the strength of the strong force -- I can only imagine your
demon will have its hands full gently easing the proton or neutron into the
nucleus.

> A thought occurred to me concerning the drop in equivalent resistance that
> this thread covers.  It would be quite important if the drop were due to a
> reverse voltage generated by the LENR mechanism that could be improved in
> such a manner as to act as an electric source of energy.  How wonderful it
> would be if we would be so lucky as to discover an electric source of power
> that directly converts LENR activity into DC power with a decent efficiency.

If LENR is the holy grail, direct conversion to electricity is the holy
grail of the holy grail.

Eric