From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thu, Jul 12, 2012 12:31 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Cell resistance drop at initiation of XP burst in the
Fleischmann-Pons Heat Effect

I wrote:

In my ignorance I am not able to get from p+p or p+D to tritium or helium-3, a
decay product of tritium, without electron capture or something even more
mysterious.

I should clarify that what I'm hoping to find is an aneutronic reaction to get
to tritium or helium-3.  If you allow (high energy) daughter neutrons, then
it's not difficult to get to helium-3.  I think you can get tritium from
deuterium via electron capture, but I don't know if that reaction can be
influenced; and, anyway, you would not expect to see deuterium above background
since it's already being produced by the deuterium.  If you allow 6Li or 10B to
be present, I think you can get tritium without daughter neutrons.  Or perhaps
the level of tritium is on the order of that of detected neutrons -- that would
be an interesting correlation to look for.

EXFOR is telling me that you can get tritium via proton capture with helium-4
and with carbon and other nuclei.  So the mystery is perhaps not as mysterious
as I was making it out to be.

Since helium-3 is a decay product of tritium, Ed Storms has proposed that it is
tritium production that precedes helium-3 production, and any explanation would
need to address tritium.

Eric