I wrote:

In my ignorance I am not able to get from p+p or p+D to tritium or
> helium-3, a decay product of tritium, without electron capture or something
> even more mysterious.

I should clarify that what I'm hoping to find is an aneutronic reaction to
get to tritium or helium-3.  If you allow (high energy) daughter neutrons,
then it's not difficult to get to helium-3.  I think you can get tritium
from deuterium via electron capture, but I don't know if that reaction can
be influenced; and, anyway, you would not expect to see deuterium above
background since it's already being produced by the deuterium.  If you
allow 6Li or 10B to be present, I think you can get tritium without
daughter neutrons.  Or perhaps the level of tritium is on the order of that
of detected neutrons -- that would be an interesting correlation to look
for.

EXFOR is telling me that you can get tritium via proton capture with
helium-4 and with carbon and other nuclei.  So the mystery is perhaps not
as mysterious as I was making it out to be.

Since helium-3 is a decay product of tritium, Ed Storms has proposed that
it is tritium production that precedes helium-3 production, and any
explanation would need to address tritium.

Eric