*Jed wrote:*

* *

*“Super volcanoes are unlikely.”*

*Lake Toba* is the largest lake in Southeast Asia as well as one of the
deepest in the world. Its shoreline is thick with pine-covered beaches with
copious slopes and steep cliffs. In the middle of the lake is the tourist
mecca of *Samosir Island*.

The area is famous for its traditional villages, the fascinating
*Batak*culture and
*Adat* houses as well as the stunning beauty of the surrounds. With all
this natural beauty notwithstanding, this place was the site of a highly
destructive eruption that took place 74,000 years ago. And now, Toba is
labeled a super-volcano that almost ended humankind as a species.

What stood between this ultimate disaster and our current situation was a
troupe of at most some few hundred willing souls starting an eastward march
out of Africa to find some place that was wetter and more fertile with more
game than the dry desert that the Toba eruption created through climate
change.

These first examples of modern people made a decision to brave the unknown
and endure the hardship of the long eastward odyssey through the mid-east
into India and down through Southeast Asia then over water through the
Pacific islands to finally voyage onto the unknown seas into Australia.

We owe our present existence to these long forgotten ancestors who have
recently been rediscovered by a detailed analysis of our gene pool.  They
paid a dear price for our lives in this long trip into the unknown full of
hardship and fear.

Do we have the same courage to forge this long path to continue the
survival for our far distant children and the totality of earth’s biosphere
that we now love in the face of these unknown super disasters that could
wipe us out in an instant by some random and unfeeling fluke of the
uninterested universe?

Is the survival of our species and all the life that fills our world the
real purpose of our worlds religions or if not should it be for without the
life of the world his best handwork in this space and time does God really
exist?

Our path of continued existence is to the other planets and their moons
where we shall form the seeds of new enclaves of human survival. And then
when we are strong enough and brave enough and smart enough to spread our
seed to the stars to guaranty to the our best of our mortal abilities the
survival of all the life this earth now holds into the indefinite future.
When we look into a baby’s eyes we know this is our solemn duty to this
world as its noblest and most capable work of creation.

Cheers:   Axil