To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:List integrity

I suggest that the blame for ridiculously long OT troll induced threads lies not as much with the initiator as with those who respond to the troll. If there is banning to be done the respondents should be banned also.

Who is the bigger fool, a troll, or someone who argues with the troll?

Also, I feel compelled to note the content of vortex has gone down hill since a bunch of fake email names have showed up. This is a weak shield for a coward to hide behind, but still it encourages behavior unbecoming a scientific list. There are many services that will provide reverse lookup information for email addresses, so it is ultimately an ineffective ruse. Sometimes merely googleing an email address will yield the identity. For example, google (jth...@hotmail.com) quickly yields:

http://www.voiceie.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=000124

http://tinyurl.com/cre6cfd

which may or may not correctly identify Jojo Jaro as Joseph Hao in Atlanta.

"To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.voiceie.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000124
Posted by Joseph Hao (Member # 3289) on June 14, 2004, 02:42 PM:

Any folks out there studying for CCIE Voice Lab in Atlanta?
[snip]

Joseph
CCIE #9273
jth...@hotmail.com"

In any case it seems to me the response to a troll should be to not respond, the response to frauds the opposite, to expose every flaw, and warn off victims. To bullies the response should be to do what you want and ignore the bully. The response to truly disruptive and egregious or unlawful behavior should be to use the tools provided by ISPs. The response to bad behavior under fake identities is perhaps to expose the identity - which has worked well here in the past to eliminate nonsense from a guy from down under if I recall. 8^)

That's my 2 cents worth, from a member of the list for over 15 years.

Resuming lurk mode.

Best Regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/