At 10:53 AM 1/3/2013, de Bivort Lawrence wrote:
Hi, Eric,

My motive for posting in Jojo's trolling is not quite the same as Abd ul-Rahman's.

My motive has been, actually, quite the same as Lawrence's.

I worry about the campaign of disinformation that Islamo-phobes are spreading as widely as they can.

Likewise birthers/Obama-haters. There are other issues that can be and have been raised disruptively.

[...]
Hidden Islamophobic agendas and methods have spilled into our list. The matter that Abd ul-Rahman raises of the troll's posting being archived is a real one, even if we have had to waste time countering it.

We can actually improve the list function while addressing the archive problem. This could have been handled in a single day, with a few keystrokes, and without censorship or dictatorial moderation. So let's make it so.

Short of stopping the Islamophobic trolling at its source, I don't know what else to do. Islamophobia is akin to anti-Semitism in its despicability, and one can make the argument easily that the former is a variant of the latter. We should accept neither.

Agreed. Nor, for that matter, uncivil attacks on Christianity, atheism, or the John Birch Society, whatever.

I do know what to do. The question is always, will we do it? I'm announcing a solution elsewhere, and I won't keep repeating it. If nobody else takes this up, it's dead, and if Bill does not show up and handle the situation, I'll be out of here, in fairly short order.