At 03:06 AM 1/3/2013, MarkI-ZeroPoint wrote:
What may be best is for several of us to discuss/decide off-list and present our recommendation to Bill; perhaps myself, Terry, Jones and Robin.

If you find out that he's okay, how about telling us. Do you realize that others, long-time members of this list, have attempted to contact him?

I would include Horace as well, but he has more serious challenges in his life at the moment… or we can ask Bill to give us that authority should he not be able to respond within a reasonable time.

He could name additional moderators. That's the easy fix if he can't attend to it all the time. But, long term, unless this community is to die if Bill becomes unavailable, we need additional owners.

That said, let me make a few comments that are directed to BOTH sides of the issue:

We really shouldn’t need any such moderation.

How many "sides" are there?

What really irks me is that seeming adults still haven’t learned that one should respect another person’s religious beliefs;

Who doesn't respect the beliefs of others? Who attacks them? Yes. There are some who have expressed skepticism about religion here, and that can be provocative. But it need not lead to flame wars, unless someone truly goes on the attack. Now, broken record here, read the subject header.

and that ALL major religions have their tarnished ‘history’ that the vast majority of followers would prefer didn’t happen… but history is history and no arguing will change that.

Yes.

Learn from the stories of human failings that are in all decent religious texts and move on.

Sure. Agreed as advisable.

In addition, ALL major religions have their share of ‘fanatics and radical elements’ that do NOT represent the majority… This has been the case for thousands of years, and so long as there are humans involved, this is NOT going to change any time soon – endless debate is a waste of time and disrespectful to the rest of the Collective. Same goes for politics as well.

Yes, I've made the same point.

Why do you think this forum has lasted for over 15 years??? Why do the same people stick with it for that long??? It should be a lesson to all those who have only been here for a few years, that most of the long-time regulars have *NOT* engaged in the recent useless waste of bandwidth… get the hint???

I've only been here for 3.5 years. I write long posts. I don't flood the list with off-topic posts, on my own initiative, and I don't increase the volume of such posts, I readily drop those subjects, and often allow others the last word.

And some *minor* amount of [OT] postings are not bad…

My opinion. I've been attacked for expressing it.

the usual crowd tends to use them sparingly for a bit of humor and diversion when technical events are in a lull. All work and no play makes for a less enjoyable read and that too can lead to some good people leaving the Collective…

Agreed. Mark, I don't think you realize that I've expressed this view many times, and have been *attacked* for it.

You are assuming a community of reasonable adults. You have no clue how a community can respond when someone is throoughly unreasonable, unstable, unable to keep promises, and angry. Really, you just wish the problem would go away, and "if everyone would stop responding to insults and provocations," why, everything would quiet down and we can all go back to being a happy family.

It works, sometimes. Usually, in real families, *it doesn't.* Not if there are deep problems with individuals. Long story.

-Mark Iverson