I think that a competitive market-based system for most things results in the
best price for the end-consumer, but for certain critical needs such as medical
and basic research, some govt/industry cooperation is warranted.  This goes
with the caveat that the markets are truly competitive with NO
collusion/favoritism from government, which is a rarity these days.

For a hundred years after the country was founded, there were no ‘entitlement’
programs;  the only aid that the founders felt the fed’l govt was obligated to
was caring for veterans injured in the line of duty… and that certainly makes
sense.  As far as other forms of entitlements, whatever happened to families
taking care of their own; why is it the govt’s responsibility to care for
people when they have family to do it! Or local charities, which are MUCH more
efficient than any government program will ever be… How about giving tax-payers
and companies generous tax breaks for contributing to local charities to
provide enough incentive to adequately fund the town’s social welfare needs.

We also need to look at how the entitlement programs are structured… I’ve seen
examples about how the rules are not structured to encourage one to become
self-reliant, but promote dependency… dependency is just another way the
control freaks (politicians) maintain control, and their power and elitist
positions.  I would have no problem if the programs ‘taught you how to fish’ in
addition to giving you some fish for a limited period of time.  Washington DC’s
avg household income is now the highest in the country; surpassing the Silicon
Valley of California… that should tell you all you need to know about
politicians.  We need to go back to one-term, citizen politicians; get rid of
all lobbyists and corporate influence-peddlers in DC.