On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM, MarkI-ZeroPoint <zeropo...@charter.net>

>> We also need to look at how the entitlement programs are structured… I’ve
>> seen examples about how the rules are not structured to encourage one to
>> become self-reliant, but promote dependency… dependency is just another way
>> the control freaks (politicians) maintain control, and their power and
>> elitist positions.  I would have no problem if the programs ‘taught you how
>> to fish’ in addition to giving you some fish for a limited period of time.
>> Washington DC’s avg household income is now the highest in the country;
>> surpassing the Silicon Valley of California… that should tell you all you
>> need to know about politicians.  We need to go back to one-term, citizen
>> politicians; get rid of all lobbyists and corporate influence-peddlers in
>> DC.
>

> Yes, would not be surprised if dependency were a problem -- I have witnessed
> some of it myself.  But with that I have two reservations.  First, let's
> approach the problem empirically.  Are there existing programs out there
> that have a proven track record of helping people at the margins of society
> without encouraging dependency?  Let's copy what they're doing and see if we
> can tweak it.  Second, dependency is only a problem for those who can avoid
> it.  There are many people, incompetents among them, who are, by their
> nature, dependent.  There is no conceivable way that we will educate them
> out of it; they will simply either sink into the existing social darwinism
> or, if we can help them, they will lead out lives in dignity at a modest
> cost to the public.  I am persuaded that this will not only be satisfying in
> some ethical sense, but that we will all be better off economically as well.

The truth is everyone depends on something and/or someone to maintain
their way of being in the world.
Nobody exists in a state of independence. Dependency is not an
affliction or a sin. (For example, the self-employed, who often
portray  themselves as "independent" and therefore morally superior,
depend heavily on a system that can process monetary transactions.)

Everyone is entitled (can I say that?) to a degree of autonomy from
which they can choose how they prefer
to lean on the world and others and to give back to the world and others.

Harry