The problem is xenophobia.  With more high skilled laborers from Asia, none
of this would have happened:

"A bipartisan group of Senators is planning to introduce a bill that allows
the H-1B visa cap to rise automatically with demand to a maximum of 300,000
visas annually. This 20-page bill, called the Immigration Innovation Act of
2013 or the 'I-Squared Act of 2013,' is being developed by Sens. Orrin
Hatch (R-Utah), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), and Chris
Coons (D-Del.). It may be introduced next week. Presently, the U.S. has an
H-1B visa cap of 65,000. There are another 20,000 H-1B visas set aside for
advanced degree gradates of U.S. universities, for 85,000 in total. Under
the new bill, the base H-1B cap would increase from 65,000 to 115,000. But
the cap would be allowed to rise automatically with demand, according to a
draft of the legislation."

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/01/25/187203/senators-seek-h-1b-cap-that-can-reach-300000