Except that it has usually been demonstrated with a propeller attached to the
shaft, currently a 10 (diameter) x 16 (pitch)
http://www.modellbau-hp.de/xtcommerce/Flugzubehoer/Luftschrauben/APC-Elektro/APC-Luftschraube-16-x-10-Elektro-Propeller-40-6-x-25-4-in-cm::1286.html

It ran 5 1/2 hours around 2500 rpm. (In previous public demos the fan was
pointed into a tube, and the velocity measured at the exit. The mass of air
accelerated (velocity * area) can be used to calculate the power.  ISTR it was
about 1/2 horsepower -- with a different fan.

I guess you could get a motor and the same fan and see what HP is needed to get
it to 2500 rpm. (There should be thrust v rpm data somewhere for similar
propellers).

Definitely non-zero.

Thrust calculator
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/4223215501/staticthrust.htm
Plugging diameter 10" pitch 16" 2500 rpm and 100% efficiency gives 12W = 0.02 HP

(Seems a bit low? )

They are now demonstrating with a smaller, less controllable motor.