Couldn't agree MORE with your statement that mathematicians can find a
mathematical way to explain anything, given a few initial assumptions. case
in point, quantum physics!  ;-)  And those pesky infinities.what to do with
those?  Let's just 'renormalize' them.  I wonder if it as a physicist or a
mathematician who came up with that?

RE: renormalization in quantum physics. (from Wikipedia)

Dirac's criticism was the most persistent.[7]  As late as 1975, he was
saying:[8]

"Most physicists are very satisfied with the situation.  They say: 'Quantum
electrodynamics is a good theory and we do not have to worry about it any
more.'  I must say that I am very dissatisfied with the situation, because
this so-called 'good theory' does involve neglecting infinities which appear
in its equations, neglecting them in an arbitrary way. This is just not
sensible mathematics.  Sensible mathematics involves neglecting a quantity
when it is small - not neglecting it just because it is infinitely great and
you do not want it!"

Another important critic was Feynman. Despite his crucial role in the
development of quantum electrodynamics, he wrote the following in 1985:[9]

"The shell game that we play ... is technically called 'renormalization'.
But no matter how clever the word, it is still what I would call a dippy
process! Having to resort to such hocus-pocus has prevented us from proving
that the theory of quantum electrodynamics is mathematically
self-consistent.  It's surprising that the theory still hasn't been proved
self-consistent one way or the other by now; I suspect that renormalization
is not mathematically legitimate."

-mark