All nanoparticles of a certain size have a negative index of refraction as
regards to the long wavelengths of infrared light. Short wavelengths are
absorbed. It's a matter of geometry.

A mix of particles of various sizes is needed in a Ni/H reactor to form an
amalgam.

This may be why BIG particles are needed to absorb the infrared light and
that infrared energy once absorbed in the big particles is passed via
dipole motion to the smaller particles witch usually reflect that long
wavelength  light.

It is my evolving opinion that predestination of some sort was involved in
the Ni/H reactor design because Rossi cannot be this smart.