Yes, a guess but a good guess. Rossi's mouse is stimulating the "Cat" with
something that floats on a hydrogen gas current and whose production is
controlled through the application of heat.

Rossi solved his control problem by separating dust bunnies production in
one unit that has a very low Q and is not subject to  run away
reaction; independent of  a very reactive high Q unit (the Cat) that is
essentially supercritical.  The Cat just consumes these dust particles
vigorously, but this stage cannot produce dust bunnies to cause a positive
feedback runaway reaction through a direct thermal connection.

It is so obvious and so simple.