Hi,
[snip]
>The key parameters in this exercise are the volume of the hydrogen envelope
>and the maximum pressure of hydrogen in that envelope. If we were to assume
>that the hydride replenished the envelope as the pressure decreased due to
>transmutation to keep the pressure constant, then that would be a different
>story.
>
>That assumption would be the same as connecting the envelope to a hydrogen
>tank with a pressure regulator attached.

...but that's exactly why the Hydride is present! If the only Hydrogen used was
what was in the tank, then it could just be filled from a cylinder at the start
and closed off, and the Hydride would not be needed at all.

Actually, it's slightly more complicated. The Hydrogen supply is most likely
regulated during the course of the experiment by deliberately controlling the
temperature of the Hydride. This effectively has the same effect as the gas
pedal in a car.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk