Thanks to all respondents to my request for help particularly Rod at
ITQ Mt. Hawthorn who provided the clue that solved the problem. The
route cause of the situation was that iMovie was in NTSC mode and there
was no preference or other means of switching it to PAL. The solution
was as simple as setting the VCR and ADVC-100 up and ON then starting
iMovie, when it fired up it immediately switched to PAL-- I, of course,
started with iMovie running, even AppleCare failed to suggest this and
are referring the matter to their experts, it will be interesting to
see how long it takes for them to get back to me. As for the ADVC-100
their technician said that if you put Dip 1 to "OFF" NTSC is "OFF"
however, I found that Dips' 1 and 6 should be in the "ON" position and
the remainder "OFF".

I highly recommend 'iMovie, The Missing Manual' by David Pogue. It does include tips like turning on your video before running iTunes (although in the past I've sometimes found i have to actually open a PAL project to get iTunes to talk PAL properly.)

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/imoviemm2/>

Have fun,
Shay
--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer There *is* a spoon!