Angus,

In the general preferences of Entourage, there is an option to
"Automatically link contacts with the messages I receive from them"
I am no office guru, and the documentation is vague, but this implies to me
that the incoming email addresses will be automatically added so that the
link can be created (as distinct from manual addition using command =).
Perhaps you might (un)check this setting. Let us all know if that helps.

HTH
John

--
John Winters