Hehe... I have to agree that people have been talking about the "paperless
office" for well over 20 years!

However, the momentum HAS been building.. at first very slowly, but now, I
think, we are reaching critical mass. I'm not talking about the demise of
books here, but electronic data and records:

Some instances I have noticed:

- I buy and sell shares online through Commsec (largest broker in Australia)
they used to send their contract notes as hard copy, though they have given
you the option of downloading pdfs for some time, now the default is to just
send electronic contract notes - you pay extra to get a hard copy sent.

- those of us who used electronic banking from the early days will have
noticed that the ability to download info has been introduced and improved
for sometime but tended to be inconsistent from bank to bank - now they all
tend to allow you to download statements as pdfs - and I note with CBA that
this is now via a screen giving you the option to discontinue paper
statements and move to purely electronic statements (and this is the default
option if you just go with the flow - you have to actively select the option
to keep getting paper every tie you grab a pdf)

- companies now exhort shareholders to opt out of hard copy annual reports,
AGM notifications and even dividend statements in favour of "green"
electronic notification (pdf's again)

- For our first annual audit of our SMSF, the auditor wanted all records
couriered to him. I said I had everything as pdfs, why not email them. At
first he said no - they needed the original hard copies - until I pointed
out that for contract notes, bank statements etc the pdfs WERE my originals
- I could print them out but that would be a second generation copy also for
share transfers I had to send the originals and keep a copy. He accepted
this and then decided it was inconsistent to then ask for hard copies of
everything - he is now happy with my electronic copies (provided that for
signed documents I scanned the signed original).

- much of the printed manuals for software (and hardware) is now replaced
with pdfs (either on CD or downloaded) - more convenient and easier to keep
up to date.

- my sister work in records management and many companies are now moving to
getting their records scanned and filed electronically.

Whilst, as noted on a previous thread, there are dangers with electronic
archives - this is also the case with physical records - fire, flood, rot &
vermin - and your back-ups (photocopies) use up even more trees - not to
mention that your off-site back-up/archiving uses up significant space.

Although I haven't yet binned all my hard copy filing system, I am getting
to the stage where I do more and more electronically and don't then print
out hard copies to file away. I appreciate the need for more than one
back-up (including off-site back-up) and enjoy how easily I can achieve this
with my Mac - the print to pdf functionality we have with OSX is a godsend!

Whilst I am cognisant of the danger of obsolete file types, I am confident
that pdfs are now so widespread that when they are eventually superseded
there will be a significant overlap during any changeover to a new file
standard together with the necessary tools to convert existing data.

Just my 2c worth ;)

Cheers

Neil
--