On 06/07/2011, at 11:00 AM, Neil Houghton wrote:

> Yes, I have to agree.
>
> I have used OpenDNS for quite some time now – started when there was a DNS
> security scare some time ago – the scare soon came & went as the ISPs got on
> top of it but I left it set up with open DNS anyway. It occasionally refuses
> to load some sites which are on some phishing/scam type blacklists and
> offers some tools when sites refuse to load.

OpenDNS is a great tool, as I Google DNS. But using a server other than your
ISP's breaks content delivery networks quite badly.

As an example, I was downloading "something large" from a special Akamai-hosted
Apple server and was only getting about 200Kbs. This is FAR below was I would
normally expect from a server that is sitting someone on the iINet network. The
problem was that a few days prior I had hard-coded my DNS server to Google
(8.8.8.8) to do some tests. Once I realised this, I returned my DNS to the
appropriate setting and my download came through at about 5Mbs.

So that's the catch for Telstra/Optus customers now.

Use Telstra/Optus DNS and have your connection politically censored

or

use third part DNS and receive a sub-par service when viewing anything on a
content delivery network.

- Matt