Hi Pete,

My hosting service seems to be temporarily offline so pardon the posting from a
older email address.

Things seem to have got away from you a little. You had successfully applied
the update to 10.5.4. At that point you had a working computer with all your
data! I personally would not have wiped the data as there is little benefit to
a clean install if you intend to use data migration assistant to bring all the
cruft back.

To take stock, you now have a working computer albeit with no data an a non
functioning Time Machine. So to try to get back on track, perhaps you could
proceed as follows:

1) Attempt the earlier process where you use Terminal.app to delete the unused
sparse bundle on your Time Capsule.

2) If that works and you get Time Machine functioning, do a Time Machine backup
just to kick things off, even though none of your valuable data will be
included in the backup at this point

3) Use data migration assistant to bring back your data.

4) Do another Time Machine backup -- this time with you data.

Let us know what you choose to do and how it goes.

Regards,
Carlo