Hi Carlo, thanks for persevering with me. I did the Disk verify and permissions
repair - there was one identified issue to do with a group code being wrong -
not sure if that relates to my problem or not. In any case it is now repaired.
At this point I have tried with Terminal to delete the User's.sparesbundle from
all 3 MB's independently and each of them replies after step 2 below with
"-bash: :$ command not found". So I can't delete with terminal at the moment.
However, the order of steps is slightly altered when compared with your earlier
instructions in that I did the OSX install prior to the disk verify/repair
steps. Does this matter?

Still unable to delete the sparesebundle and also unable to mount the time
machine disc image.

I think you indicated earlier there is an instal process to fix the "bash"
issue I am having.

Regards

Pete...