Thanks Daniel and Ronni

As an update, I've followed your advice, made a bootable backup using CCCloner,
backed up to Time Machine, erased the SSD, reinstalled OS X from Recovery via a
net download, and then restored apps and data from Time Machine. All seems Ok
at this time.

It wasn't quite as easy as that though, as after restarting with Opt key, Disk
Utility initially could not erase the disk as it "could not dismount the disk",
or words to that effect. Using Techtools Pro last week, thinking it might fix
the troubles I had with the computer, it had installed an eDrive partition
which simply could not be deleted. Disk Utility could not repartition the SSD
as again it  "could not dismount the disk". Eventually I was able to erase each
of the separate partitions but the eDrive partition remained, albeit I could
rename it something else. I'm not sure I wanted that to remain so I decided to
use the iMac and restarted the MacBook in Target Firewire mode. I used Disk
utility on the iMac to repartition the SSD back to one partition.

Restarting the MacBook Pro with the Opt key down there was then no Recovery
Disk option (I guess I blew that away too) so the computer prompted me to
reinstall from the net, which I did.

From there it was easy to reinstall the data from Time Machine.

That entire process took around 6 hours, on and off. I was able to go away and
do other things as the Mountain Lion was dragged in through the net!

All a bit puzzling to me but as I said, all seems to be well but time will tell
- when the next OS X update is released perhaps.

*Ah yes I note the installed ML is 10.8.3 so there is a combo update waiting in
my downloads folder to deal with after I finish this email, so I'll post an
update when that has been installed!

Daniel, as an aside, I have received a response from Alsoft re Disk Warrior and
SSDs. I'll post it separately on-list. Look out for it as it may raise some
eyebrows and discussion ;-)

Regards and thanks

Reg