Hi Reg

It would be interesting to see if it does it on a clean install. (but it
depends how much "work" you want to do on it.
There may be a clue in Console as to what is happening as well, as they can
sometimes say where it is falling over.
If it did it on a clean install of just the OS and none of your data/software
then that would point to some corruption or issue with your own data.
Again, may not be an easy fix as you'd have to go through everything a few
times of reinstalling,…and depends on if you want it "right" or can "live with
it" lol

Oh, and yes, erasing it via Disk Utility Target mode would have hosed your
recovery partition, as it erases the whole drive.

Unfortunately without being able to see the system, it could be quite a few
things (from a hidden file, corrupt StartupItem, Receipt file/folder, missing
folder (I had a StartupItems folder missing on a System that caused issues.
Found it via Console), LaunchDameon or Agent causing an issue….and so on….

You could try to reinstalling the Combo Update again, and just after it fails
see what is written in Console. (system.log). That may point you to what the
culprit may be.

Sorry, gotta get back to client work, so may not be able to reply until tonight
when home again.

Kind regards
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 5

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <danielATmacwizardry.com.au>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>

**For everything Apple**

NOTE: Any information provided in this email may be my personal opinion and as
such should be taken accordingly, and may not be the views of MacWizardry. Any
information provided does not offer or warrant any form of warranty or accept
liability. It would be appreciated that if any information in this email is to
be disseminated, distributed or copied, that permission by the author be
requested.