Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 19:38:32 +0800
From: Neil Houghton <n...@possumology.com <mailto:n...@possumology.com>>
To: <wamug@wamug.org.au <mailto:wamug@wamug.org.au>>
Subject: Re: iMac not connecting to other iMac's

Hi Matt,

I suspect that this is indeed connected to your previous problem and is down to
file/folder permissions issues.

I have had similar issues in the past and resolved them but all the following
is through the foggy filter of an aged brain/memory!

As you will be aware, all files & folders have permissions which govern
who/what can access/read/write/run them. Back in the old (pre-OSX) days
networking was less common outside the corporate world but quite a few of us
set-up home ethernet networks and it was our Macs which first put this in the
hands of us mere mortals (rather than networking experts). It was not uncommon
for some of us venturing into these areas to manually change these permissions
to achieve various outcomes when sharing files etc but, even then, you had to
be careful.

Nowadays, home networks are ubiquitous and easy to setup and, in general, OSX
handles it fairly seamlessly & we don?t have to worry too much about
permissions ? until we do!

There are all sorts of permissions and levels (root, system, users, group etc)
but I think your problem here is with user permissions & file/folder ownership.

In general you are the owner of your user files and folders and OSX keeps the
visibility and accessibility of these files/folders limited to the owner ? if
you look in the ?Users? folder, at the top level of your HD, you will see a
number of folders:
Your home folder will have the house icon ? you are the owner and have full
access to the contents
A shared folder ? any user has access to this and it is useful if you want to
have documents/items that are available to any user.
If you have more than one user account, then there will be a folder for each
additional user, owned by that user.

In general, if you try to look in a user folder belonging to another user you
will see the standard list of user folders ? Desktop, documents etc ? plus any
added by the user. However, except for their ?Public? folder you will see that
the folders have a ?no entry? icon on them. If you select one of these folders
you will not be able to view the contents and if you check the permissions of
the folder, you will see that the owner has read/write access and ?everyone?
(else) has No Access.

This is how it should be ? it keeps each users ?stuff? private to themselves.
The problem is that, with regard to user permissions, OSX determines a ?user?
?not by the ?User Name? but by the ?User ID?. The User ID is allocated
automatically every time you setup a new account. If setting up a Mac from
scratch, the first user will have a User ID of 501, the next user account 502,
etc.

Typically when you get a new computer and use the OSX migration assistant to
move your info from the old computer to the new computer then it takes care of
matching user accounts and IDs. Also if you only have one user account on each
computer then they will all have user ID 501 and you will probably have no
problems even if you set them all up manually (without using migration
assistant).

However, problems can arise when you setup computers separately with users that
you want to be the same, ie same user name (probably same password) but, for
example, you add the users in a different order and they end up with different
User IDs.

I suspect that this may be your problem but, before we try to resolve the
problem, we need to confirm that this is actually the case - so we need to
compare users and user IDs across your 3 iMacs.

It is easy to check the User ID for any user account:
Open System Preferences ? Users & Groups, unlock the pane if necessary,
right-click your user name (the single list entry in the Current User section),
and select Advanced Options.
A dialog box will open. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING! We are just looking!
You will note that ?Full Name? is the name you use to login and ?Account name?
is the name of your user folder in the ?Users? folder.
Now check the field User ID and make a note of the number.
Exit the box by selecting CANCEL (YOU DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE ANYTHING
Repeat this for every other user account on each iMac (in the Other Users
section)
Make a list/table to summarise user accounts and user IDs for each of the 3
computers.

what I suspect then you will probably have the same User ID for the relevant
account on the two older iMacs but a different user ID for the account on the
newer iMac (2013 HD).

Of course, it might be something completely different ? but it is an easy check
? just don?t start changing anything in the Advanced window!

HTH

Cheers

Neil