Hi Neil / Matt

I think sometimes it can be “OS” related as well, as each OS works differently
sometimes.
For myself, I can’t say I’ve come across this issue…..and in fact I just tested
it now.

My laptop is UserID 501. Running 10.14.6 Mojave
On my wife’s iMac, I just created a new account for me (same username and
password), and it has UserID502. It’s running 10.12.6 (Sierra).

I just shared in to “my” home folder from my laptop. Form Finder it loaded
fine, and when I copied and moved folders and files from my laptop to the iMac,
and via versa as well (from iMac back onto my laptop Desktop and into other
folders). All the files and folders copied correctly with no permissions
errors. Everything opened correctly and didn’t say anything about owner
permissions issues.
(Even though the iMac thinks I’m 502 and my laptop is 501)…..

But yes,…I think it previously could have some issues.
Some of also can be Apple is (or did) move away from AFP file sharing. They
then went to SMB1 sharing,…to be more “Windows friendly” and then recently (I
think) if I remember correctly they went to SMB2 as it’s more secure. So by
default sometimes these different protocols don’t always play well together.
(I might have my terminology slightly off, but from memory it’s something like
that. On another system I had to run a Terminal Command to re-acticate “SMB1”
to file share with an older windows computer for a client).

Sometimes if the “shortname” is different, it can cause some network file
sharing issues, but that’s where adding in aliases works for that. But
generally as long as the shortname is the same (and password), I’ve found they
share fine,…even with different UserID numbers. Either that or I’ve just been
lucky enough to always get it working,…lol.

Sharing is always an “interesting” thing to work through sometimes. Different
factors, different OS’es,…..always something :)

Hope all this info helps Matt and you can get it working.
Kind regards
Daniel

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <daniel AT macwizardry.com.au>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>

**For everything Apple**

NOTE: Any information provided in this email may be my personal opinion and as
such should be taken accordingly, and may not be the views of MacWizardry. Any
information provided does not offer or warrant any form of warranty or accept
liability. It would be appreciated that if any information in this email is to
be disseminated, distributed or copied, that permission by the author be
requested.