Got it.  I deleted the default contents that were generated when I created
the function1.load file.  I thought it was all commented out but the last
line was not:

{{if
len(response._vars)==1:}}{{=response._vars.values()[0]}}{{else:}}{{=BEAUTIFY(response._vars)}}{{pass}}

I removed this line and now only what I expected is show in the view.
 Thanks