IMHO I would not separate anything. A big part of Web2py's magic is
that you do don't need to "install" it. Keeping everything together
insures that upgrades will always work via the web2py web interface
(with a pleasant side effect being that you do not have to repackage
each time Web2py is updated so you get to spend more time doing what
you love ;)

Other matters in no particular order...

If you want "debian" startup scripts you could do it the way you
mentioned, the formal "debian way" or the "web2py" way or some
combination.

You might consider placing them in the web2py/scripts directory (if
Massimo if OK with that). This would make them easy to update (ie. no
(debian) repackaging required) and they would be available to all
Web2py users and developers. I think web2py/scripts/web2py.ubuntu.sh
has a startup example. I the way it is done in the Ubuntu script work
on all other debian systems.

Project X

Project X could be a Debian package containing a "companion" web2py
application. In this case, for Debian users / developers. The idea
being again to free you from the drudgery of repackaging when you (and
optionally others if you so choose) want to update the companion
application.

I mentioned the possibility of using a mercurial clone as this would
give you the freedom to add additional features, customizations and
updates to the companion application, again without needing to update
any debian packages. It has a lot of other very interesting "side
effects" as well  including creating a mechanism (via mercurial) that
allows allows other web2py users to contribute to the application, so
if you chose to do so it could become a web2py community application.

By "not" automating companion application updates you give package
users "full control".

Advantages
- Flexibility
- Ability to update the package x companion application without
repackaging.
- Transfer of application maintaining is trivial.
- Others can easily contribute to the package x companion application
by installing package.
- Keeps everyone focused on Web2py.
- Did I mention it is really cool!

Disadvantages
- Requires maintainers for the two debian packages and one web2py
application.
- Too flexible?

Universal Installers and so on.

A setup similar to this opens the door to all the possible things that
one can do with Web2py applications including providing instructions,
links to additional debian packages, apt url installers, chats,
twitter, scripts, server monitoring tools, video instructions,
deployment tools and the list goes up to and including a "Universal
Installer" if one where so inclined. The point being that a Debian
package that including a companion application allows you (or others
if you so choose) to add almost any additional feature at any time
without the need to repackage and redistribute a Debian package,
although this would also be possible if one chose to do so...

Wow , that was really tough to describe in an email!

Keep rockin,

Cheers,

Chris