On 16 oct, 10:54, Mark Breedveld <m.breedv...@solcon.nl> wrote:
> >> apache2-web2py
>
> Well I originally launched the same plan as you and we also came too
> the same conclusion as you. No way too do it, because of the three
> reasons I mentioned before.
> guidelines, maintainable, etc
>
> So stick to the original plan. Get a simple version of web2py on air.
> With documentation.
>
> And if my project succeeds, it will operate as management layer on top
> of it. But that's for later and has an other goal.
>
> If that is done, then we could do the apache package.
> apache2-wsgi-web2py
> apache2-fastgci-web2py
> apache2-proxy-web2py
> It is possible, but the last time the packaging got stuck on it.
>
> >> A pending question is how to deal with the needed writing permisions.
>
> If you want a per user instance, don't separate the admin.

I want to separate the admin because it's something the user should
not touch, and should be upgraded everytime the package is upgraded.
Moving the admin application to the userland won't allow upgrading it
with new versions of the package.

But... the user has to run the admin project, so it needs to write
sessions, logs, etc. for this project.

And keep
> the ports in mind. You can't run every instance on the same port and
> you can't give all user the same instance. Would be a major security
> leak.
>
> Suggestion: don't do per user instance. But use the same structure as
> apache. One instance, one user/group.
> If needed users can manual create there own instance.

I fully agree with you... but there's a big difference with apache if
you're not running apache. Starting the rocket server is done by any
user without special permssions (tcp port over 1000). So we have a
dillema: adding apache as a dependency and running it all under apache
umbrella would make things easier. At the same time this breaks the
easy of use of web2py when rocketserver is used and would force the
users to be in a special group to be able of program with web2py.

> Just too keep it going and to keep focus. I have simple question,
> because I'm loosing track of the discussion.
> Can you package web2py as you have in mind, besides the writing
> rights? Which you will discuss later on I guess.

I'll try. Anyway, I've requested the creation of a packaging group in
alioth.debian.org. As soon as it is created by the admins I'll tell it
here, so anybody can join to help.

Regards
José L.