> WIth jqgrid even without paging , i had successfully loaded 40k records
> within 6 - 8 secs .

That is because jqgrid loads limited amount of data per request, i am doing
this with datatables. And I am working to incorporaye it to the plugin.

http://www.datatables.net/examples/server_side/pipeline.html

Take a look at other server side examples

> supports progressive loading (without paging , it does ajax to load while
> scrolling down). I do not see those features exist in datatables.

Datatables has API events for pagination, its  just a matter of javaScript
scrolling events calling pagination events. Can be done with datatables.

http://www.datatables.net/development/pagination

As I said, I just started a plugin 6 days ago, this was released soon to be in
WAE. It is pre-alpha version. Too much work in progress.

I hope this could be quickly as jqgrid.

Bruno