On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 06:59:32 -0700 (PDT)
Massimo Di Pierro
<massimo.dipie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hope nobody gets offended by this email and I have no option but bring
> it up because I have received few emails on the topic.

I'd prefer if those individuals complaining about someone/something would speak
up in the public instead of hiding behind your back. :-)

> For example I would be very uncomfortable if anybody were to post statements
> objecting what I consider basic scientific truths.

In the message body or in the content?

> I this point I am not suggesting a policy on this, I am just telling
> everybody there is an issue. Some people have been raising it
> privately. You may want to think twice about what you put in your
> emails. You may get more people to help you if you are neutral.

I haven't done any scientific research but just skimmed through the batch of
latest messages in the group and noticed that majority of users do not use any
signature which would contribute to "there is an issue" statement except Johann
Spies and my humble self.

Let me say that I did not notice Johan's siganture 'cause I usually skip the
threads which are above my current level of web2py skills, but, although I'm
not Christian by belief, I do not see anything wrong in reading some wisdom
from the scriptures in someone's signature.

> You may want to think twice about what you put in your emails. You may get
> more people to help you if you are neutral.

Does it mean that the level of help one can expect to receive here depends on
one's name as well?

What about a nick one uses in #web2py?

I'm using Linux since '99 and was present in Internet/forums/BBS even years
before (while still using OS/2) and *never* encountered that the content of
someone's signature could be an issue and would discriminate the person the get
higher/lower level of support the forum of some open-source project.

Statements like:

"...In that case it may be disturbing to read a signature quoting a political
statement or verse from a religious book."

are totally unacceptable according to my standards/principles and that's why
I'd like to openly hear whether web2py lists accepts such policy where
Johann's OR mine sigs are not acceptable here?

If this is the case, I know what I'll choose since my principles stands much
higher than the choice of web framework... ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)