I have been a Plone/Zope developer for awhile, but don't get to do it often
enough to completely retain what I have done. I have given much thought
recently to developing a CMS in web2py, since I think it would simplify my
development tremendously. I would love to be part of a community effort on
that behalf.

As far as a CMS vs a Blog goes, I have always viewed a Blog and viewing
content in a particular manner. To me a Blog is a subset of a CMS. If we
have a basic CMS, adding a Blog simply means organizing that particular set
of data a certain way.

At the same time, development of a Blog for itself may be easier than as a
subset of a CMS. But most of the projects I have worked on have been adding
some kind of content and being able to view that content through a browser.
So having a core CMS that is easily extensible into other kinds of systems
sounds useful to me.

The bottom line is "a list of desired features" is a good starting place,
and I am willing to be part of the development.

Ideas:

   - core objects that can be extended
   - tags (I like the GMail label idea, so a piece of content can live in
   multiple locations, not just in one)
   - additional views that allow mixing multiple content objects, for
   example, on http://web2py.com/new_examples
      - maybe the three columns a the bottom (batteries included, web based
      ide, extensive docs) are different content objects that are used
      independently somewhere else
      - content blocks? you have have multiple blocks in a view
      - easily reorganize block with drag and drop

Let me know what I can do to help.