RDS is more or less mysql 5.1, with a few goodies wrapped around it. they
haven't (as far as i know) added any bells or whistles to the core database
server - they've just automated the management of it.

my favourite goodies are point in time recovery and multi-availability zone
with auto fail over.

point in time recover is enabled by amazon taking snapshots of your database
every 5 minutes or so. what's brilliant is that in just a few minutes you
can boot one of these snapshots up as a completely functioning database
server. so, for example, i was busy debugging something in our production
environment earlier today so i just booted up a snapshot taken 5 minutes
before and tested code against it. after i was done i terminated the
instance and hence stopped paying for it. ok it cost a couple of dollars,
but the sheer productivity gain is worth every penny.

multi avail fail over is equally brilliant. switch it on and amazon maintain
a fully functioning exact replica of your master database in a different
availability zone, and have a mechanism to auto-failver if the master has
any issues. it's basically mysql replication (master-slave) across 2
separate availability zones (ie. data centre) but fully automated.

simon