doing what you've done means you're managing mysql, looking after it, making
sure it doesn't fall over, doing backups, managing replication etc. rds does
all of that for you. it also makes changing the config of your database
server a breeze: need more disk space ? couple of clicks. need more ram ?
couple of clicks. need more compute power behind it ? couple of clicks. need
automatic fail-over to a different availability zone ? couple of clicks.

re web server resources, remember it's just a normal wo deployment running
in the cloud, so you can do whatever you do now.

we don't separate the web and app tier - all our ec2 instances run monitor,
wotaskd and apache, and are effectively independent of each other, and we
use an elastic load balancer up front.

simon