Hi WOrriors,

I have mixed feelings.

It's obvious when you look at Cayenne the original developers had used EOF
before and wanted to make an open source clone. They also wanted to make
it better, if possible, than EOF.

It's been a while but when I looked at it I was put off by some things.
They questioned "Why do you need,
*addObjectsToBothSidesOfRelationshipWithKey()*" So they just made it
automatic that when you set a relationship it always does both sides. You
don't need to call a special method. But in my mind, sometimes you don't
like the way the model was made and may not want to start a war with
another engineer that created an ugly back relationship. You can, in EOF,
choose when you truly want to bring in both sides of the object graph and
when you don't want to.

John surely knows more than I, and it probably is the closest fit to EOF
that you can find anywhere and is probably superior to EOF in many ways.

It was really nice to see nobody lamenting and begging for Apple to change
things. It was really cool to see Chuck ask for a show of hands to say
"Let's rewrite WO and make it truly ours." It's exciting, yes, but I'm
still torn.

Has someone moved our cheese? (taking a nod to Paul Yu)

WO / EOF is working reasonably well for us. We are still assuming that
this remains the ultimate way to develop Internet apps. Has any of us
truly looked elsewhere? I mean, if it is still king then it might be worth
the effort to get a truly open-source base that we can all be proud of.

For me WO / EOF was a couple of things. It was simple to install and
deploy back in the .dmg days. It's harder now. It was also a really cool
abstraction above RDBMS. You can almost truly feel that you are working
with objects even though they are persisted in a relational data store. As
perfect as this mapping layer is, it still has some hiccups. It can never
be as clean as if you were saving true objects directly in your object
database.

Sacrilege, yes! I do have a wandering eye. I wonder why must I still use
Object-Relational mapping tools, EOF / Cayenne / or otherwise. It's 2012,
I want to save my objects as objects and migrate them too. I don't want a
mapping layer anymore. I want to use Gemstone or something like it.

I don't want a java dialect (WO) that feels a bit like SmallTalk. I don't
want an Objective-C that feels a bit like SmallTalk. I don't want dead
languages. Yes, Eclipse makes java code almost come alive but it's more
like the "living dead" or the "undead." I want my objects alive all the
time. I don't want some bloated app like Eclipse to puff up my objects and
pretend they are alive. I want fully integrated tools that just work
including distributed version control, etc. I want the real SmallTalk.
While other languages are dead, Smalltalk is a living language that
refuses to die. It is uber productive. It's the xombi of the object
oriented languages.

I wonder if our collective talents and efforts might be better aimed at
some cheesier cheese. Seaside could make for a better way to WO.

-- Aaron

Message: 4