Am 11.07.2012 um 23:03 schrieb Daniel Beatty:

> Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen,
> I tend to agree with Chuck on the notion that this could be a costly marriage
> without some kind of stability assurance.  My recommendation would be to have
> Cayenne be standardized so that at least there is both proper documentation
> and be able to say what Cayenne is intended to be (EOF like or otherwise).
>
> I did some work on the subject whether WO/EOF is still king of the ORMs for
> my dissertation qualifiers in November of 2011.  I found that while there is
> no notion of a standardized ORM out there, EOF has a de facto standard due to
> its age and open source varieties in both Objective-C and Java forms.    I
> can see why Apple has been reluctant to take it to a standards body.  Namely,
> why teach the whole industry how to build something that makes your company
> so successful.  None the less, there are enough of us that could easily
> reverse engineer EOF along with Cayenne to help formalize such a standard
> with say the Open Grid Forum (OGF).
>
> Of course, there is probably nothing that can be done about the language of
> choice.  According to the TIOBE index, the three most popular languages as
> far as applications built by them are in order C, Java, and Objective-C.
> Popularity does not necessarily give us good languages from an academic point
> of view, but there are some blessings to be had from those top three.    Of
> course, Objective-C did rise this last month to surpass C++, C#, PHP, and
> Visual Basic.   What does Chuck say if people are using those languages, of
> their own free will?

Speaking of Objective-C: There's an EOF and a WebObjects clone in GNUstep under
the LGPL:

EOF-Clone (EOF 4.5 IIRC):

http://www.gnustep.org/experience/GDL2.html

http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gdl2/trunk/

WebObjects-Clone:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstepWeb

http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gsweb/trunk/

Wouldn't that be an alternative nowadays that ObjC has ARC?

http://clang.llvm.org/docs/AutomaticReferenceCounting.html

> V/R,

cheers,

        Lars