This saga really does sound like what happened to me running wheezy on RPiB
- just started doing random stoppages - usually locking me out of ssh at
the same time renderingdebugging difficult that I switched to rpi3 and
still - touch wood - not failed since.  I am sure raspberry/debian
introduced a sw change of some kind that affected the older rpi's in some
manner.  Hope you eventually get to the root cause of this.  As I now do
not trust my old rpiB am not sure what to do with it - try it on another
project or bin it.  It's been ticking away doing nothing now ever since I
decomiisioned it without failing!!  If I was you I would try weewx on the
rpi3 and simulator on the rpi2 rather than what you are proposing - even
though that proposal is counter-intuitive and not good practice.